At a public meeting held January 27, 1815, the citizens of Ballston Spa decided to build an engine house and purchase a fire engine, and directed the Trustees to organize a fire company immediately. It took nearly two years to decide the kind of engine to be purchased, and September 6, 1816, the sum of $300 was voted for this purpose.
Engine House No. 1 was first located on the southwest corner of Bath and Walnut Streets, on a lot owned by John Wait. In 1845 it was moved across the street to the site of the present Village Police Station. The old house was a small, one story frame building, with a cupola for the Bell. This was replaced in 1867. After 123 years, in the year 1980, a new station was finally built and moved into, presently located on the corner of Washington and Bath street.
On June 10, 1843, the Fire Engine Co., No. 1, became known as the Eagle Fire Company. The equipment of the company at this time consisted of a first class engine made by Button and Co., of Waterford; two hose carts, ladder and pike poles.
The J. A. Harvey Hook & Ladder Co., No. 1 was organized July 11, 1868, and carried the name until February 16, 1887, when it was changed to Matt Lee Hook & Ladder Co., No. 1. The rooms of this company were also in the Engine House no. 1 on Bath street.
On September 25, 1933, as a joint meeting of the Matt Lee Hook & Ladder Co. and Eagle Fire Co., it was voted to consolidate the two companies, and the name of the combined company was changed to the Eagle-Matt Lee Fire Co., No. 1.. Charles Duffy was elected Captain and ably served in this capacity for the next twenty-five years.